Thursday, December 30, 2010

Strikes & Gutters

John’s best friend, Jeff, has a tag line that we find ourselves repeating every now and again: “Strikes and gutters.” I always laugh when he says this because it is normally associated with a shoulder shrug and a raised beer pint. As I reflect on our past year, I can’t help but have the same notions.

Strikes: landed a great job at a fabulous company, great trips to Hawaii, North Carolina, Chicagox2, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Paducah, New York Cityx2, bought a new car, finished off furnishings to our now 2 year old home, wonderful neighbors and friends, Michelle (my sister in law) college graduation, Bob (my brother-in-law) wedding, sucessful surgeries, our sweet Stella growing up and learning new tricks every day, the engagement of our closest friends, many new additions to our closest friends and the general happiness of all those who mean the most to us.

Gutters: my father’s affair, subsequent move in with his mistress and now divorce of my parents, illnesses of our family members, my dearest, best friend’s alcoholism that has lead to the dissolution of our friendship and the strain on others.

Gutter: 2010

Strike: 2011!

1 comment:

laura haney said...

I have my fingers crossed for you guys this year! I know that together you two will always be on top because you are dear kind people, and the jackasses who can't see that don't deserve you in their lives. So there! Hope we get to catch up soon, sweet hugs from Robert: )