Monday, August 16, 2010

The other woman...

After 39 years of marriage, my father stepped outside of his marriage and the vows he promised to my mom and God. He moved out and in with her the day before we were told. She, a divorcee of 3 years, is 68 (who looks well into her 70's in my opinion) and lives in Austin. They met at a UT class. She needed someone to talk to about her daughter’s melanoma scare. Funny, he didn’t attend ONE of my doctor’s appointments when I had melanoma tumors removed from my back as a little girl – digressing again. My mom is one year into her retirement after 40 years of a dedicated career to the school system and saving all of her life for what were to be the “glory years”.

Three weeks ago my mom got a strange feeling – why is he drying his hair at 5AM to take myself and John to the airport? 6 months of phone records revealed her worst fear. She pursued him in the beginning and it took off from there. The records showed their contrived phone calls early in the morning and clearly when their rendezvous would take place - mid-afternoon - and then he would come home to my mom – kiss, hug her and pretend that nothing was going on. His own sick fantasy. How long would it have gone on before he would fess up we wonder? My mom called her from his phone and she emphatically said, “Hi!” To which my mother responded, “Hi! You have been calling my husband. What is the nature of your relationship with him?” Cowardly, she responded, “Sorry you have the wrong number.” A returned phone call went straight to voicemail. This person knows what she has done is wrong and won’t even give my mom the respect of admitting wrong, but then again she clearly has no respect for herself, marriage or the implications of her actions.

One of the calls was on the morning of our anniversary. We met my parents at church and then went to brunch where he pontificated on the years of marriage and what we should learn from them. How can someone do that when just 4 hours earlier you are talking to your mistress?

So we will rebuild and move on – without him. So many questions that will never be answered, so much pain to deal with, so much hate to battle, so much he will miss out on. May God have mercy on both of their souls. Let evil find each other and stay out of our lives!

No comments: